Monday, October 20, 2008

Thoughts on making a new film.

Since moving from Florida to NYC around four months ago I became fascinated with the dynamics of public transportation, especially the subway system.  Observing the interactions and mannerisms of the people riding the trains made me think of how this would read in a documentary.  In film school I came to the realization that I needed to be making documentaries, especially those of the direct, observational or vérité movement because they really are a reflection of my personality.

This project idea gives me concerns and challenges that I am unsure of getting over.  The subway is a very intimate space and the presence of a camera would shake such a space, to the point of disruption, therefor ruining any sense of truthful observation.  This leads to the choice of camera and how not to disrupt such an intimate space, at least as little as possible.  Even with the smallest of camera, can this really be accomplished?  The film could easily fall into voyeurism and lead to some ethical dilemmas of privacy and such.  

And then there is always the issue of releases and the general reaction of commuters with a camera pointed at them.  The more I think about this the less I feel the possibility of such a project.  Subway musicians are plenty and interesting in themselves, perhaps the film would focus solely on those people?  I can not see the film working without the relation of these musicians music to those riding the trains.

No comments: