Friday, November 28, 2008

New Yorker

I need to start creating again or I think I am going to go crazy. I watched a film called Southern Belles this evening and it really made me nostalgic for the south, like I had been when traveling from Orlando to Raleigh, and from Raleigh to Memphis making a friends undergrad thesis film which eventually inspired my undergrad doc The South Lost The Civil War.

When the film department screened our films a friend of mine mentioned I should make my film into a series of films about places, using the same model as The South. Traveling right now is not an option so I am left with Brooklyn, which is interesting in itself. I’d like to focus on my neighborhood and the dynamics of being a New Yorker. Does one have to be born and raised in New York to be a true New Yorker? Can transplants become New Yorkers? Will I ever be a New Yorker?

So why am I not shooting this film? I think because I am hung up on cameras and formats I do not have access nor monetary resources to use. I should get over it and just shoot with what I have.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

maybe transplants like us will never be true new yorkers in the classical sense, but new york is so diverse, it's almost rare to meet someone who has lived here all their lives. I came here for the diversity and different opportunities, and I'm feeling more at home than I have felt anywhere else.