Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sony EX1




I've been told time and time again, go HD.  If I want to be taken seriously as a shooter in this industry I need to step it up from my old 3chip Sony VX-2000.  Here is where the new Sony EX1 comes in.  This camera has 1/2 inch chips compared to prosumer 1/3 inch chips and is completely tapeless, recording directly to memory cards.  With the two slots available in the camera up to 70 minutes of shooting is possible.  My main concern for this is the way documentaries are shot, with higher shooting ratios and often distant, dangerous and remote locations where having a computer on hand to dump footage into would not be practical.  What I like about this dilemma is that the 70 minutes is in the highest quality 1080 resolution.  This camera allows lower resolutions of 480 and 720 resolutions and records with a Variable Bit Rate or VBR which allows for more definition in the areas needed, thus saving space on the memory cards.  The workflow excites me, dumping footage into Final Cut without having to deal with log and capture and the real time it takes to capture the footage shot.

I came across this on Vimeo, its one of my favorite examples of the quality of image this camera produces.



3 Seconds HD from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

No comments: